Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
CELEBRANT: Through the ages, saints and sinners have turned to the Lord, seeking rest from the burdens of their labor. Like them, we express our needs to the God of love.
READER: Please respond, “THY KINGDOM COME!”
1. That we, God’s people, members of the Catholic Christian community, may be shining examples of holiness and selflessness to all our sister and brother human beings, we pray. . .
2. That the leaders of the nations may labor without ceasing for that day when all God’s children, dwelling on the earth that is the Lord’s, will live free from the fear of war, terrorism, and violence in all its forms, we pray. . .
3. That all who govern and whom we choose to govern through our national election may do so with integrity, with a readiness to faithfully carry out their offices with honesty and dignity, and with a fierce commitment above all to the common good, we pray. . .
4. That the prayers of the saints may keep safe our military men and women, our First Responders, and our healthcare and other essential workers, we
pray. . .
5. That we may receive help and strength, through the intercession of our patron saints, in our struggle to live the values of the beatitudes, God’s values, we pray. . .
6. That today’s feast, which celebrates the triumph of life, may give hope to the fearful, to the suffering, and to those who mourn, we pray. . .
7. That the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends may be gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially __________), we pray. . .
8. That all of us, gathered here in faith and in prayer, may one day attain our Father’s house, and that all our beloved dead may be numbered among the saints, (especially __________), we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: Gracious God, help us, your people, to be faithful to the heritage of love and service which your saints have left us. This we pray through Christ our Lord.