Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
TWENTIETH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
CELEBRANT: Together, let us fill this house of prayer for all peoples with prayer to the God who cares for the nations without difference or distinction.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. That the Church, in imitation of its Lord, may be ever more clearly seen by the world as a welcoming and loving community of hope, which goes about healing the wounds that hate and rejection inflict, we pray. . .
2. That the hearts of those who would make for war and violence may be turned from evil, and peace and justice flow as a gentle river upon every land, we pray. . .
3. That one and all, we, who are blessed to be American citizens, may reject the ways of hatred and injustice, social and economic, and more and more grow in profound reverence for one another, we pray. . .
4. That educators, charged with the difficult decision as to how best to go about the instruction of our youth in these pandemic times, may be graced with wisdom from on high, we pray. . .
5. That those who care for this, our house of prayer, may be blessed in their holy work, we pray. . .
6. That our service men and women and our First Responders and health care workers in harm’s way may be safe; and, the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, especially ____________________,
we pray. . .
7. That the hearts of those in our community mourning loved ones may be wrapped in Easter hope; and, ____________________, (and) all our beloved dead come to the everlasting embrace of our God’s love, we
pray. . .
8. We pause to express, in the silence of our hearts, our personal intentions -
That God may listen with a special kindness to those unspoken concerns, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: Gracious God, you are the God of life and compassionate love. Indeed, you set no boundaries to and no limits on your wondrous mercy. Make your human family to be one in justice and in peace. Attend swiftly to the prayers of your people voiced in the name of Jesus Christ, your Son, who is Lord forever and ever.