Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
FIFTH SUNDAY OF EASTER
CELEBRANT: Grafted at our Baptism as living branches onto Christ, the true Vine, let us ask our God to provide for the needs of all.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. For the church in its communities throughout the world: may it have peace, and faithfully and compassionately proclaim hope and healing in Jesus’ name, we pray. . .
2. For the family of nations in all its rich diversity: may people everywhere turn from war and violence, and seek justice and peace, not in word or speech, but in deed and truth, we pray. . .
3. For hearts to be transformed throughout our nation, so that racial harmony may become reality in every community, common sense gun legislation has a chance, and immigration policies be both just and compassionate, we pray. . .
4. For all first communicants: may they glorify God by bearing the fruit of faith all their days, ever growing in love for the Risen Jesus, we pray. . .
5. For young people celebrating Confirmation in this Easter season: may they continue to mature in their faith commitment and in their compassionate response to the hurting, we pray. . .
6. For the safety of our service men and women, and of our First Responders; and, for the seriously ill, in our community and among our family members and friends, to be gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially ___________,) we pray...
7. For Easter’s hope to wrap the hearts of those among us mourning loved ones; and, for __________, (and) all our beloved dead: may they come to the fullness of Easter life, we pray...
8. We pause to express, in the silence of our hearts, our personal intentions –
For those intentions, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: O God, whose command is that we believe in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ, and that we love one another, listen now to your Church at prayer. Grant that we, united to the true Vine, may glorify you in bearing much fruit and becoming ever more faithful disciples of our Risen Lord, through whom we make our prayer and who lives and reigns forever and ever!