Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
FOURTH SUNDAY OF EASTER
CELEBRANT: In the name of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, in whose name alone the human race is saved, let us pray for the needs of all God’s children.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. For all who shepherd the church: may they lead us in holiness and serve with humility and compassion the flock for whom Jesus, the Good Shepherd, laid down his life, we pray. . .
2. For all the Christian churches to pursue with urgency the goal of unity so that there may be one flock for the one Shepherd, we pray. . .
3. For those who control the destinies of nations to act always as responsible stewards of the power and people entrusted to their care, rejecting what separates, embracing what unites, and giving Easter’s peace a chance, we pray. . .
4. For men and women of all ages, in particular our young: may they courageously follow the Good Shepherd’s voice calling them to priesthood, the religious life, or lay ministries, we pray. . .
5. For an ever-greater reverence for creation by all of us who dwell on the earth together, we pray. . .
6. For us in these United States to recognize all who dwell in our land to be God’s children, entitled to life, liberty, and equal justice under the law, we pray. . .
7. For the blessing of safety for our service men and women, and our First Responders; and, for the seriously ill, in our community and among our family members and friends, to be gifted with comfort and caring, and the healing touch of our God, (especially _______________,) we pray. . .
8. For the sorrowing to be consoled by Easter’s glorious hope; and, for _______________, (and) all our beloved dead: may they come to the fullness of Easter life, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: O God, listen to the prayers of this flock for which Jesus laid down his life. Grant us the grace to know always the sound of his voice, and help us to follow in love the path which leads to you. All this we ask through Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd and Risen Lord, who lives and reigns forever and ever.