Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
THIRD SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
CELEBRANT: In the name of Jesus, let us pray, for the needs of the Church and the world, to the God whose compassion and love are from of old.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. That the shepherds of the Church may listen humbly to the voice of God’s holy people and, with them, lovingly proclaim to the world the challenge of conversion and the hope that is the Gospel, we pray. . .
2. That Christian Churches throughout the world may be ever more one---in holiness, in truth, in worship, and in love, we pray. . .
3. That the nations of the world may turn from the ways of injustice, war, and death to pursue God’s ways of justice, peace, and life, we pray. . .
4. That executive, judicial, and legislative leaders throughout our nation, founded on the truth that all are endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to life, may be strong and effective defenders of the unborn and the born from conception until natural death, we pray. . .
5. That youth may generously respond to the call, “Come after me,” from the Jesus who would make them fishers of His people as priests and religious, we pray. . .
6. That the rollout of the coronavirus vaccinations, for the sake of the human family, may be rapid and inclusive, free from any major obstacles getting in the way, we pray. . .
7. That our First Responders and essential workers, and our service men and women may know the blessing of safety; and, the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially __________,) we pray. . .
8. That Easter’s glorious promise may be the hope of those among us in mourning; and, __________ (and) all our beloved dead come to eternal rest and the everlasting embrace of God’s love and peace, we pray. . .
CELEBRANT: O God, rouse our hearts to heed your Son’s call to repent; stir up our souls to live his Gospel ever more faithfully! Grant that our lives may proclaim now to be the time of fulfillment and your Kingdom to be at hand. All this we pray in the name of the One who calls us by name and who is Lord forever and ever.