Each week we are posting General Intercessions for the upcoming Sunday liturgies by Msgr. Joseph Masiello, retired pastor of Holy Trinity Parish, Westfield, NJ. These intercessions are based on the assigned scriptures, the liturgical season and current events.
FEAST OF THE EPIPHANY
CELEBRANT: Before we bring our gifts to the altar in homage, let us with trust and confidence offer prayer for our sister and brother human beings.
READER: Please respond, “LORD, HEAR OUR PRAYER!”
1. That God’s holy people may lovingly invite all to come and be heirs with us as
members of the one body of Christ, we pray. . .
2. That hearts may be transformed from hatred to love so that all nations may walk in God’s light, free from war and violence, and all rulers pay Him homage, serving Him in justice and peace, we pray. . .
3. That, in this New Year, our government leaders may bring renewed hope to the so many who are unemployed, food insecure, homeless or threatened with homelessness, we pray. . .
4. That winter’s dark and cold may move us to rededicate ourselves to warming, in whatever way we can, the hurting of our family and neighbors, near and far, we pray. . .
5. That the vaccination process may proceed in every State as orderly and as peacefully as possible, we pray. . .
6. That our Catholic Christian communities may offer Christ Jesus the gold of a living faith, the incense of beautiful worship, and the myrrh of compassion for others, we pray. . .
7. That our service men and women, our First Responders, and our medical personnel and essential workers may be covered with safety; and, the seriously ill in our parish community and among our family members and friends gifted with love’s comfort and the healing touch of our God, (especially ____________________,) we pray. . .
8. That Easter’s glorious promise may wrap the hearts of those among us in mourning; and,
____________________, (and) all our beloved dead come to the everlasting embrace of God’s peace and love, we pray. . .
Gracious God, with deep gratitude we thank you for revealing your loving
kindness through the person of Jesus. Bless this gathering of your
church with your Spirit that we may, in loving kindness, reveal him to
others. This we pray, as all things, through Christ our Lord.